Class, Beginning Quilting Class with Kelley Richardson
Beginning Quilting Class with Kelley Richardson
Daytime: Fridays, Oct. 6, 13, 20, 27, Nov. 3, 10, 17, 24 (8 lessons) 10am - 12pm
Evening: Fridays, Oct. 6, 13, 20, 27,Nov. 3, 10, 17, 24 (8 lessons) 6pm - 8pm
Are you interested in learning a new skill that combines creativity, patience, and relaxation? This 8-week course is designed to take you through the entire process of quilt making, starting with cutting your fabric to binding your finished product.
Kelley Richardson is an experienced quilter who has been practicing this art form for many years. She knows all the ins and outs of quilting and is eager to share her knowledge with beginners. Kelley's teaching style is patient and supportive, so you can feel confident that you'll be in good hands throughout the course.
The class will meet for 8 sessions, each lasting 2 hours. During this time, you'll learn the essential techniques for successful quilting, including how to choose fabrics, cut and accurately sew to create blocks, add borders, quilt your quilt and sew on the binding. You'll also learn how to use your sewing machine to aid in your accurate seams, as well as other tools that are essential for quilting. Each student will receive a learning package for this quilt.
One of the great things about this course is that you'll learn tips and techniques that Kelley has picked up over the years. These insights can help you avoid common mistakes and make your quilting journey more enjoyable. For example, you'll learn how to use a rotary cutter to make precise cuts, how to match seams for a professional-looking finish, and how to choose the right fabrics, thread and batting for your project.
At the end of the 8 weeks, you'll have completed a small lap quilt in a choice of 2 sizes that you can proudly display in your home. (61” x 61” or 39” x 48”) You'll also have the skills and knowledge you need to continue quilting on your own. Whether you're looking for a new hobby, a way to relax and unwind, or a creative outlet, quilting is a fantastic choice.
Fabric for your quilt and notions required to make it are not included in the class price. You must know how to run your sewing machine. If you require help learning to use it call to set up a $20 hour long private class prior to the start of the quilting class.
Requirements – all items are available at the store
- sewing machine in working order (not needed for the first class)
- pins, scissors, seam ripper, marking tool, cotton thread, size 80/12 universal machine needle
- ¼” quilting foot, walking foot (let us know if you need either)
- rotary cutting supplies: a 45mm rotary cutter, a rotary cutting mat at least 18” x 24” large, rotary cutting rulers – one 6” x 24” and 6" x 12”
- Fabric and batting to be purchased at the store to make your quilt prior to the class.
Please read and understand the following before registering for a class - thanks!
- Class fees must be paid in full at the time of registration to reserve your spot. Space is reserved on first-come first-serve basis.
- Supply lists are available online for the classes. Go to shop.amongbrendasquilts.com and search for your class under ‘classes’. Most classes also have sample quilts, bags or garments displayed in the shop.
- Class fees are for instruction only and do not include materials for class, unless otherwise stated.
- Most classes have a pattern, book, or specialized tool requirement. These will be noted on the supply list. Each student must have a LEGAL copy of the pattern or book.
- Some courses are all inclusive (e.g., class materials are bundled in the price). If you already possess some or all of the required materials, a store credit/gift certificate will be issued.
- Students are required to bring; 1) a sewing machine in good working order, 2) machine accessories, & 3) basic sewing supplies to each class; unless otherwise stated. You should be familiar with the operation of your machine before class, please bring your manual if in doubt.
- We are more than happy to help you in your selection of class materials, but please do so prior to class.
- Some classes require a small amount of homework prior to the class. Please arrive prepared so that you can start on the fun part right away!
- Class will start on time, so please arrive at least 15 minutes early and be set up and ready to go.
- If you bring your cell phone to class please be considerate of others and put it on vibrate/silent prior to class. Please refrain from wearing perfumes, as some people have allergic reactions to scents. Also, if you bring a drink, please use a container with a lid.
- If there is nothing scheduled in our classroom after your class ends, please feel free to stay and use the space to continue working on your project until the shop closes.
- Please refrain from using perfumed products the day of class.
- Most classes have a minimum enrolment (usually 3 students). If the class is cancelled due to low enrolment, you will be notified and all course fees will be returned in full (your choice of a refund or store credit).
- If you can't attend a course, please cancel at least one week in advance. A store credit will be issued ONLY if you cancel at least seven (7) days before the course. Cancellations within a week of the course will NOT receive a store credit, though you may send a friend in your place.
3. Workshops and other classes may be partially or fully non-refundable and/or require much more notice of cancellation before a credit is issued.
Please verify that any class you wish to enrol in meets your schedule and that you're OK with the cancellation policy before enrolling.