Class, Fabric Fusion - Spring Dress Series
Fabric Fusion - Spring Dress Series:
Full Series of 3 Classes: $180, Feb. 21, 28, Mar. 6, 10am - 4pm, Fabrics and patterns not included.
The focus of this class is dresses - make one in knit and one in woven fabric, emphasizing the diverse material choices and sewing techniques involved in creating an easy to sew and well-rounded spring wardrobe. Participants can expect to fuse their skills with their creativity to build a versatile and stylish 2-piece collection of dresses and a coordinating jacket for the upcoming spring season. See detailed pattern choices below. Read the class description and then scroll down to pick out one garment for each class from the list pattern options. Pop into the store and we will help you find your pattern and fashion fabric!
Class 1: Knit Dress - Cool Comfort
In the first class, participants will dive into the realm of knits, exploring comfort and versatility. The focus will be on selecting a knit dress pattern, and we have some excellent choices. These knit patterns are designed to provide a flattering fit and allow for ease of movement. The class will cover essential techniques for working with knit fabrics, and using a serger if you happen to have one.
Class 2: Woven Dress Elegance
Transitioning to the second class, participants will embrace the structure and elegance of woven fabrics. There are several options available that will guide them in creating a dress with a classic woven fabric. Woven fabrics open up opportunities for incorporating different textures and prints into the wardrobe. This class will delve into techniques specific to woven fabrics, such as seam finishes and interfacing, enhancing participants' skills in garment construction.
Class 3: Jacket Mastery
For the grand finale, participants will tackle the creation of a stylish cover-up jacket. This jacket serves as the perfect finishing touch to the spring wardrobe with dolman sleeves and a shawl collar or with a flutter collar. By the end of this class, attendees will have a completed ensemble ready for the upcoming season.
Here are the pattern options for each class. Pick one pattern per class and buy separately.
Class 1 - Knit Fabric Dress Construction
Note: Style Arc patterns fit a wide size range
Description: The Doreen pattern by Style Arc is a "V" neck slip on dress with asymmetrical hip seam and extended shoulders.
Description: The Cameron Dress is an on trend pull-on dress with an elastic waist, wrap skirt and interesting tulip hemline.
Description: This dress is simplicity itself. A young and super comfy dresses with a feel good guarantee! The drawstring casings at the elongated waist, hood and hem are typical casual styling details together with the in-seam pockets.
Class 2 - Woven Fabric
Misses Size Options
Description: Burda 6760 is likely a versatile shirt dress pattern with ab optional shorter shirt length version. Being labeled as "easy to make" makes it suitable for sewists with varying levels of experience.
Description: Burda 6339 is another pattern from the Burda line. Both dresses score with fashion details. Sleeveless dress view A features a gathered skirt accented with piping. The narrow skirt and short sleeves of dress view B are set off with striped fabric. The "easy to make" classification suggests simplicity in construction, making it accessible for beginners.
Description: Similarly, Burda 5916 would make a lovely spring splash. It offers options for 2 feminine dresses with a full front button fastening, collar with collarband and angled armholes. View A has a clean look and features a separate belt. View B is more romantic with frills to embellish the top.
Curvier Size Options (Style Arc Patterns fit a wide range of sizes)
Description: The Montana dress by Style Arc is a comfortable midi length high waisted pull on dress with an extended shoulder line. If you want numerous options for the Montana Dress, purchase the Montana Dress Extension pattern. In it you will receive 4 bodice and 3 sleeve pattern options designed to match the skirt of the original Montana Midi Dress pattern, creating over 12 different looks. You will need the original Montana Midi Dress pattern to use this extension pack.
Description: The Yvette dress by Style Arc is a comfortable midi length dress with an “A” line and with unique style lines perfect for stripes or colour blocking. It has options as a sleeveless dress or with an above the elbow sleeve length.
Class 3 - Jacket Cover-up
Style Arc Fiona:
Description: The Fiona jacket from Style Arc is a versatile choice. It's designed to be a cover-up piece that complements your dress choices. Jackets are great for adding a finishing touch to an outfit, and this one caters to a wide range of sizes. It's so cute!
Description: Create this feminine silhouette with elegant swing. The raglan sleeves of this jacket grant wearing ease, and the loosely draped front pieces with notched collar add a special appeal. Two length options. Sizes 10 - 20
There will be some homework in this series.
Your support of the ABQ Sewing Studio means the world to us, as it allows us to continue offering high-quality classes and maintaining a nurturing environment for all sewers. We truly value your commitment to our store and want to express our gratitude by providing the best possible resources for your sewing endeavours. We have many colour combinations of fabric available for your capsule wardrobe.
In order to ensure a cohesive and harmonious learning experience, we kindly request that you consider purchasing your fashion fabric from our store for the class. By doing so, you not only contribute to our community of sewers but also enjoy the added benefit of receiving personalized assistance and guidance based on the specific fabrics we offer. We thank you for your support!
Location: ABQ Sewing Studio, Strathroy, ON
Prior to class you will need to have your fabrics laundered and pressed. You will also require a sewing machine in good working order, one that you are familiar with that you have sewed on before. Bring your serger if you have one but you must know how to use it. Each student will have an 8 foot table to work on. There is a level entrance to our facility on the right side of the building.
- Sewing Machine in good working order - you must know how to use it
- Good quality pins (longer ones with glass heads are the easiest to handle) in a container that allows for easy access or in a pincushion
- Sharp cutting scissors
- Small scissors or snips for thread
- Measuring tape
- Sewing gauge or small ruler
- Hand-sewing needles
- Marking pencils or chalk that will work with the fabric you are using for your class project
- Seam ripper
Please read and understand the following before registering for a class - thanks!
- Class fees must be paid in full at the time of registration to reserve your spot. Space is reserved on first-come first-serve basis.
- Supply lists are available online for the classes. Go to shop.amongbrendasquilts.com and search for your class under ‘classes’. Most classes also have sample quilts, bags or garments displayed in the shop.
- Class fees are for instruction only and do not include materials for class, unless otherwise stated.
- Most classes have a pattern, book, or specialized tool requirement. These will be noted on the supply list. Each student must have a LEGAL copy of the pattern or book.
- Some courses are all inclusive (e.g., class materials are bundled in the price). If you already possess some or all of the required materials, a store credit/gift certificate will be issued.
- Students are required to bring; 1) a sewing machine in good working order, 2) machine accessories, & 3) basic sewing supplies to each class; unless otherwise stated. You should be familiar with the operation of your machine before class, please bring your manual if in doubt.
- We are more than happy to help you in your selection of class materials, but please do so prior to class.
- Some classes require a small amount of homework prior to the class. Please arrive prepared so that you can start on the fun part right away!
- Class will start on time, so please arrive at least 15 minutes early and be set up and ready to go.
- If you bring your cell phone to class please be considerate of others and put it on vibrate/silent prior to class. Please refrain from wearing perfumes, as some people have allergic reactions to scents. Also, if you bring a drink, please use a container with a lid.
- If there is nothing scheduled in our classroom after your class ends, please feel free to stay and use the space to continue working on your project until the shop closes.
- Please refrain from using perfumed products the day of class.
- Most classes have a minimum enrolment (usually 3 students). If the class is cancelled due to low enrolment, you will be notified and all course fees will be returned in full (your choice of a refund or store credit).
- If you can't attend a course, please cancel at least one week in advance. A store credit will be issued ONLY if you cancel at least seven (7) days before the course. Cancellations within a week of the course will NOT receive a store credit, though you may send a friend in your place.
3. Workshops and other classes may be partially or fully non-refundable and/or require much more notice of cancellation before a credit is issued.
Please verify that any class you wish to enrol in meets your schedule and that you're OK with the cancellation policy before enrolling.